last updated :
In 1596 the castle was retaken by the English but granted to Sir Arthur Magennis on condition that the English could use it if they needed it.
In 1641 Sir Conn Magennis took it, but in 1644 it was defended for the King against Parliament. In 1670 it was sold to Francis Hall and the family owned it until 1956."
from the Newry and Mourne District Council Website